Termites are wood-destroying insects. They play an important role in nature, experts estimate they cause $5 billion of property damage every year.
Termites cannot be effectively treated by a homeowner on their own. Pest control professionals have the training, and expertise to eliminate an infestation.
Bedbugs should not be equated with filth or sanitation problems. Bedbugs are elusive pests. They are often found in other areas besides the bed. And they are hardy. They can live for a year or more without eating and withstand a wide range of temperatures from nearly freezing to 122 degrees Fahrenheit.
Any effective bedbug strategy should start with a careful, thorough inspection by a pest professional of all known suspected spots where the bugs may be harboring. This is not a pest that can be controlled effectively with do-it-yourself options. Your pest control professional will develop a treatment and control strategy depending on the infestation.
Many types of stinging insects, such as yellow jackets, are social insects. They will sting to protect themselves and members of their colony. The insects give off pheromones, which cause other members of the colony to react .
Are mosquitoes a real health threat?
Mosquitoes transmit at least three human diseases in the United States. All are potentially fatal. They include West Nile Virus, Malaria and Dengue Fever.
As a homeowner you can reduce the risks from mosquitoes by:
- Eliminate mosquito breeding sites by replacing all standing water once a week.
- Remove unneeded vegetation from around water sources that cannot be changed or removed.
- Introduce mosquito-eating fish such as gambusia, green sunfish, bluegills and minnows to standing water.
- Avoid going outdoors when mosquitoes are active.
- Use repellent on exposed skin whenever mosquitoes are likely to bite.
Cockroaches are a leading trigger of allergies and asthma attacks.